Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    I use a pair of Altec 1005B Altec Horns that are the natural gray color. I have seen some really cool Automotive type paint Jobs on Oris horns and others and was wondering if there was someone out there that had ever painted their Altec Horns with an Automotive finish?

    Or maybe someone offers a service to turn these gray horns into something as sleek as you'd see at an Auto Show.

    Anyone know?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Yes, take them to any decent auto body repair shop or if your bank account is up for it, take them to a custom shop and have them 'flamed'/faux wood, marble/whatever.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yes, take them to any decent auto body repair shop or if your bank account is up for it, take them to a custom shop and have them 'flamed'/faux wood, marble/whatever.

    GM
    I would guess that the rough outer surface should be left intact, as it is there for dampening? Am I correct on this? So, I was thinking that maybe only the front and inside should be a gloss automotive finish?

    Seen any of these finished?

    Comments?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Right, that's a sprayed on Aguaplas coating, so you don't want them glass beading it off. Never painted any horns with a high gloss, only matte, satin or semi-gloss to blend to the decor or be invisible behind grill cloth. Really, the multi-cells I've seen would look horrible to me in a high gloss since the thin cell plates were a little warped from soldering.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Right, that's a sprayed on Aguaplas coating, so you don't want them glass beading it off. Never painted any horns with a high gloss, only matte, satin or semi-gloss to blend to the decor or be invisible behind grill cloth. Really, the multi-cells I've seen would look horrible to me in a high gloss since the thin cell plates were a little warped from soldering.

    GM
    Well, I took my horns to a Custom Paint MotorCycle Shop that has won many awards for cycle restoration and Custom Painting. The gal that does the work is confident that she can make a beautiful gloss finish of these horns. I don't think she uses any 'baking' with her process. Sandblast, Primer, Color, Clear. I am pretty sure that I'm going with a Gold Metallic Gloss Automotive Finish. I don't Hide my horns, I want them Visible.


    It should not cost more than $400. I should have them finished withing 3 weeks or so. I'll post a Picture when I get them back.

    Here is a link to their website: Customized Creations Motorcycle Painting

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    I am pretty sure that I'm going with a Gold Metallic Gloss Automotive Finish. I don't Hide my horns, I want them Visible.
    Sweet!! Pimp My Horns! :-p

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Then there is powder coating, some really cool things being done with new materials. I wonder, though, if the original coating could withstand the oven temps of the powder coat process? Isn't it asphalt based?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    I wonder, though, if the original coating could withstand the oven temps of the powder coat process? Isn't it asphalt based?
    If it is indeed a factory damped horn, then yes i believe you're correct. I think they'd have to be stripped clean and then re-damped after powder coating.

    To be sure, we should know first if the OP is referring to aquaplas coating, or if he's referring to the rough aluminum slag/skin that covers the exterior of many of the die cast 811 and 511 horns.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    He said a 1005B so it must be Aquaplast no?
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    ...Isn't it asphalt based?
    No, Aquaplas is a water-based, high-solids emulsion. Doubt if it would survive the metal expansion at baking temps though.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.